Master Bedroom Update

I am slowly making progress on decorating the master bedroom. Here’s what it looked like the last time I blogged about it:

IMG_2738

I am hoping to get the master decorated and fully furnished before moving onto the nursery. When we first moved in, I was going to go with a taupe, cream, and grey colour scheme. I just felt it wasn’t interesting enough though so I scouted out a fabric that could be a jumping off point for a new scheme.
I found this:

Courtesy of tonicliving.ca

And my new colour scheme was born: navy, grey, blue, white, and a hit of chartreuse!
I bought some new throw pillows for the bed and had some custom drapes made. These were both courtesy of Tonic Living which is fast becoming my favourite place to visit on the internet!
Here’s what the master looks like now:
IMG_3544
IMG_3540
IMG_3542 IMG_3546And I replaced the console in this corner with this old desk from my university days:
IMG_3547This piece was in the guest room that will eventually be the nursery so I am slowly dismantling the room. I have plans for the desk but that will come in another post!
We ordered a sectional sofa for the bedroom back in January and we’re still waiting for it to arrive! Once the room is totally finished, I will share another update.

Thanks for reading!

Not Your Mother’s Valances

I was getting my project on again this weekend (surprise, surprise). Remember how I announced a few months ago that I was going to do “no sew roman shades” for the windows in my guest bedroom? Yeah, that project was waaay too ambitious! I went back to my original idea of pelmet boxes a.k.a. valances a.k.a. cornices.
I grew up with valances in our home in the early 90’s that looked something like these:

The pelmet boxes I made are a modern update to the traditional valances.
Here are the materials and tools I used:

IMG_1240

  • Foam board (I used 4)
  • Yard stick or measuring tape
  • Duck tape
  • Utility knife
  • Batting
  • Fabric (mine was from Tonic Living and I used 1½ yards)
  • Staple Gun
  • Nails
  • Hammer
I pretty much followed this tutorial to a T so if you want an in depth how to, visit that site.
I couldn’t resist buying this moustache duck tape for the project. It was a toss up between the moustache tape or the One Direction tape. I ended up saying no to my inner 14 year old girl (next time though…)!

IMG_1243

IMG_1244

IMG_1289

Here’s the pelmet box with the batting and fabric stapled, ready to be hung up.

IMG_1290

To hang them, I just rested each pelmet box on 5 2-inch nails that were hammered into the wall right above the window casings.

Ta Da:IMG_1291
IMG_1295

IMG_1298

Thanks for reading y’all!